Heart & Vascular Care in our Community
Rio Grande Regional Hospital is an Accredited Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI hospital by the American College of Cardiology. Our dedicated team of medical professionals provide patients with full-service cardiovascular care, from the fast treatment of events like heart attack and stroke, to treatment of underlying heart and peripheral vascular diseases.
At Rio Grande Regional Hospital, we put our hearts into caring for yours. Our heart surgeons, and the rest of our cardiovascular care team, are unparalleled in their use of innovative technology to prevent, diagnose and treat cardiovascular diseases in both adult and pediatric patients.
Our full-range of Heart & Vascular services includes:
- Cardiac catheterization lab—Available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, cath lab services include diagnostic and interventional cardiology care and associated surgical procedures including balloon angioplasty and stent placement.
- Heart and vascular surgery—Includes surgical treatment for atrial fibrillation (AFib), stent treatment for abdominal aortic aneurysm, and open-heart surgery such as coronary artery bypass grafts, aortic arch repair, and heart valve repair and replacement.
- Electrophysiology (EP)—Including EP studies to find abnormal heartbeat (arrhythmia), non-surgical ablation of arrhythmias, insertion of both biventricular and permanent pacemakers, and other therapeutic procedures.
Heart Disease in Women
Did you know that coronary heart disease (CHD), which causes heart attack, is the leading cause of death for women in the United States? Plaque buildup (atherosclerosis) on the inner walls of the coronary arteries is a serious problem for both men and women, and a leading cause of heart disease. While men's plaque distributes in clumps, women’s distributes more evenly throughout artery walls. This means that angiograms in women need to be read differently than men’s and that additional testing may be needed to make sure women’s heart disease is caught early.
Rio Grande Regional Hospital is committed to raising awareness in the communities we serve about the importance of heart health for women:
- According to the American Heart Association, heart disease in women accounts for more deaths each year than all forms of cancer combined.
- Worldwide, 8.6 million women die from heart disease every year, accounting for a third of all deaths in women.
- 71% of women experience early warning signs of heart attack with sudden onset of extreme weakness that feels like the flu.
- Heart attack symptoms in women are sometimes missed, as they often present with no chest pain at all. Common heart attack signs in women include shortness of breath, light-headedness, nausea, and pain in the jaw, neck or back.
- Nearly two-thirds of the deaths from heart attacks in women occur among those who have no history of chest pain.
The women of the Rio Grande Valley are encouraged to talk about heart health with their physicians to see if they’d benefit from any screening or diagnostic tests that could help them lower their risk of heart attack or stroke.
Find A Doctor
See if your cardiologist has privileges at Rio Grande Regional Hospital (or find one that does). Looking for a specialist or primary care provider? Please call (956) 661-3110.